The Future of Resdayn
Start Fresh with a New World and Server 92%  92%  [ 12 ]
Let Resdayn Die and Upload World Files 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Try and Port an Existing World to a New Server 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Explain) 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: The End of Resdayn
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:31 pm 

Alright, so that news title has probably startled you, and that's good because we need to have a discussion about where Kingdoms of Resdayn is going in the future. A lot has changed since the server first opened in October of 2011, Mojang no longer owns Minecraft, Bukkit is dead, and much of the Resdayn player base has dwindled down to only a few. The fact of the matter is, this server costs $150 a month to maintain, and while donations have never been forthcoming, there hasn't been a single one in months and I can no longer afford to keep Kingdoms of Resdayn online with current expenses.

That doesn't mean this will be the end of course, I want to open up the fate of Resdayn to public discussion. We can move to a smaller server, after all, and I can probably afford to keep a $30 a month server going for a good while, though this will mean starting fresh with a brand new world and new server architecture. It has been pointed out to me, repeatedly, that our server worlds are essentially overpopulated graveyards of old builds, and that our server architecture is hopelessly archaic and would not be easy to update. Starting fresh may be our best chance, and since Spiggot has released support for Minecraft 1.8 we could even start out on the latest version of Minecraft and build our plugin base from there. That's if you guys want the server to keep going though, so please let me know what your opinion is!

Another option is to, of course, just let Resdayn die and upload the server files to DropBox so you guys can download it for your own use. Really, we'll be uploading the server files anyway with the above option as well.

Of course, if we somehow, by some miracle, get enough donations to keep the server going, we can keep things as they are, but I have to admit I would question the wisdom of such a decision given how old everything on the server is and we would probably only be delaying the inevitable.

Anyway, please post your thoughts on what you would like to see happen to Resdayn here on the forums. The server will be shutting down on December 22nd and a full backup will be made available for public download. Please make sure to empty your player inventory into a chest to make sure everything is saved in the backup!

Post subject: Re: The End of Resdayn
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:53 pm 

Christ, I had no idea it was that expensive... I'm all for starting anew with a smaller server, new world. Hosting the old world for download would be nice, given the builds and memories.

I actually think it could be really healthy to start anew, with a smaller plugin base. KoR was starting to feel like something it wasn't: big and populated. Almost depressing. Smaller can be very, very good and may free us up to have a closer and more active playerbase. I really hope the Elder Scrolls emphasis stays, though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:15 pm 

Already said a couple of times when I was active, and I'm going to say again.
Out with the old, in with the new.

I would love a FTB server, though. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:17 am 

Wow! I had no idea either that the server was that expensive! Dark, we appreciate all you have done over the years, but I don't think anybody expects you to pay that much each month to keep the server going. This is only the second server i have played on (I found this one after my first server vanished one day) and I've been here almost since the beginning. It has been a great ride and I've met lots of e-friends along the way.

I would be perfectly fine with a smaller server (especially since exploring to the ends of the world isn't a pressing concern to me as an admin, haha!) I know that the number of man hours of work that has collectively been put into this server is staggering, but it is always kind of neat and exciting to start over on a new world.

Really, though, whatever you want to do, Dark, is fine. You are the owner and we are here to help out. I AM glad it is going to be available for download, and PUT THE ORIGINAL WORLD UP THERE, TOO!!!

Now somebody just explain to me what this drop box is...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:19 am 

I knew you paid to keep the server going but I had no idea it was that much money! I think the best bet would be to start anew in a new world in a smaller server and maybe with only one world instead of the three? I know for a fact that I rarely ever go to the jungle world when I can get on and when I am on very few people are in that world ever same thing with the Amplified world as much as I love my castle there and the scenery.

I do have a few ideas/suggestions if a New World is the route we take:
- Instead of building a new spawn since Resdayn has had 3(?) over the years, I suggest that we transfer the main bulk of Narsis over with some of the original districts (if possible) or maybe for the first week or two while the new world is active, specify districts, give each user a plot and creative and BOOM we can make a large city like NArsis but with everyone!
- To encourage the current players who have spent time building their homes, another suggestion (if possible) have them choose a home they want to transfer over (excluding grinders/farms/and mob spawners)
- Change how the Build Comps will be rewarded (more a personal gripe than server wide) Active players should have the better rewards as their own tier. Ex. Hawke builds a giant christmas tree for a Christmas build and wins the first prize: Civ V and all the Expansions (shout out to Hawke :D) Since he is active he gets that reward. Other example: RandomUser1234 joins because a friend tell them they can win Civ V as a first place prize. They enter, win and then leave and log on only to try to win steam games. Personally I do not think that that kind of situation should be rewarded the way it does.

Misc. Suggestions
- Voxelsniper, that is all ;D
- More British Pirate Representation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:43 pm 

Wow. I had no idea it was that much...

Whelp. I have an idea.

Is it possible to WE or move housing to another world? We could have a few admins move people's housing to the new server. Only the xtreme important stuff. I only want to do this because I was planning something fun with the castle. Fry and I were either going to host a party there and try to get new people on, or we were going to turn it into some type of city.

I just got a few friends to join the server, and I don't want them to have to start all over from where they were. They've gotten far in a month.

All I have to say is that it breaks my heart to see this server slowly dying. This was and still is my favorite Minecraft server of all time. I say, if we can't do my idea, start anew.

The last I thought of was to make a video compilation of all the amazing builds we've had on the server, post it to YouTube, and maybe try to convince people to join and donate. I've seen some amazing stuff on this server.

If it helps, I got a bit of money for my birthday, and I can spare a couple dollars to support the new server.

Don't call, though.

Seriously, don't call.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:52 pm 

Hello All,

I have been a long time member of resdayn, not necessarily the most active of players, but i would hate to see this server die off, my one opinion is to start fresh, whenever i logged on i felt a little bit bored after a while, all the pluggins making everything in the game so easy to obtain, now im not saying remove pluggins, they are great! but many take some away, keep it a little more vanilla like. Also if it is possible it would be great if you could upload the world files no matter what happens, if i could get my hands on them i could do so much in the world, even possibly make a costom adventure map (with Dark's permission of course :3)

Anyways, that sums up what i feel should be done about the server, i wish you the best of luck Dark!

Cya L8er!
~Rex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:42 pm 

Yo, i haven't played in a while but i think it'd be best to upload the original map and then start new. It was getting a bit to easy i think, thats the reason why i haven't been playing.

goodluck guys, hopefully we can play again soon.

yagouksu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:44 pm 

I know haven't been active recently but Resdayn was my first ever minecraft server and I learned a lot here I would hate to see it go. I also understand you have to pay for it and it is a lot of money. I think starting a smaller server as lets be honest we never really get above 10 players on at once as it is. It would be nice to see a new server and would be nice if new players joined as well. I have made a lot of friends and would hate to see them go. I say restart with a smaller server as if the server dies I would honestly be quite sad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:37 pm 

I just want to say cost or no cost, a smaller, fresh server is what I've wanted for quite some time! It would refresh my interest in the server so much!

I've been trying to get back into Resdayn but school is a PITA! Lol! Maybe we could get some input on this new server if it were to happen (eg: which plugins stay/go, spawn ideas/themes, etc)

I appreciate everything thus far Dark, thank you for keeping it running this long. <3